The number of Native American children in foster care greatly exceeds the number of ICWA compliant homes available to care for the children. StepStone Family & Youth Services in Arizona is dedicated to recruiting Native American families and ICWA compliant homes to become licensed and assist with ways to keep children connected to their culture.
Minimal Requirements to become a licensed Native American Foster Parent:
- Must be at least 21
- If married, both spouses must complete all licensing requirements
- Applicants must all attend pre-service training requirements
- All adults in the home must obtain a Level 1 Fingerprint Clearance Card
- Family must be financially able to meet their own needs
- Applicants must show proof of lawful presence
- Must have the time to devote to a child or adult in need
- Home must be able to pass a home inspection.
- If you have a pool or spa, you must comply with safety guidelines.
- Learn about culture and traditions
- Participate in online or community events
- Cook or eat traditional foods
- Read stories from indigenous authors
- Listen to cultural music