Placement Services (FAQ) - StepStone Family & Youth Services
  1. Home
  2. Arizona
  3. Placement Services (FAQ)

Placement Services (FAQ)

Placement Services (FAQ)

StepStone Family & Youth Services of Arizona works with parents and guardians to assist in placing a child or adult with developmental disabilities in a developmental home.  We understand that this can be a difficult decision.  We will work with you and the member to find the best placement possible and make this a smooth transition.  We want you and the member to feel comfortable with the placement and feel like the adult or child developmental home is an extended part of your family.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is a Developmental Home and what services does StepStone Family & Youth Services and the ADH providers offer?

A Developmental Home is a licensed family home providing care for up to three members.  The family may include single individuals, married individuals, children, other adult household members, pets, etc.  StepStone Family & Youth Services completes a home study which includes references and background checks. The home study is sent to the Office of Licensing, Certification, and Regulation who then issues a license. A family can be licensed as an Adult Developmental Home (ADH) caring for adults with developmental disabilities or as a Child Developmental Home (CDH) caring for children with developmental disabilities. The developmental home provides for the member as if he/she is a family member.  In addition to basic needs, the developmental home provider also provides assistance with grooming, hygiene, scheduling and transporting for appointments. The developmental home provider will also transport and support other activities and services such as school, work and recreational activities. The developmental home provider will also work with the member to teach skills such as budgeting, cooking, safety skills, etc.

How does the placement process work?

DDD determines eligibility for a Developmental Home and sends out vendor call to all of the DDD contracted agencies.  The contracted agencies send responses with available homes to DDD.  DDD forwards these responses to the guardian to make contact with the agency. Once the guardian has contacted StepStone Family & Youth Services, we will coordinate a meeting with the prospective developmental home.  If we decide to proceed with the provider, we will coordinate a transition to include visits with the member and the provider and meeting with the service team. The service team may include StepStone Family & Youth Services, DDD Support Coordinator, DTA or work program/school and behavioral health services. We work together to ensure a successful transition. We will schedule a pre-placement ISP to discuss services once we are ready to identify the placement date.

How can I communicate once placement occurs?

As the guardian, you may communicate as you like. We do ask that the guardian and the providers come to an agreement on how/when to communicate and visit as to not conflict with appointments, work, DTA, school, etc. Unlike a group home or assisted living facility, the developmental home is not a facility but a licensed family home and cannot serve more than 3 members. There are no  set “visiting hours”. For example, it may not be appropriate to want to visit the home for a couple hours in the evening every week night as this may interrupt evening routines. StepStone Family & Youth Services and the providers will also communicate by providing monthly paperwork and reporting any concerns or incidents upon occurrence. We will also communicate through email or phone as needed.

Am I allowed to coordinate visits on the weekend or on trips once placed?

Yes, you may coordinate weekend visits and/or trips while ensuring that there are no conflicts with care (appointments).

How much is rent/how do I pay the rent?

The Social Security payee is responsible for providing the reimbursement for the room and board in a developmental placement. The payee is able to work directly with DDD to set up the reimbursement. The funding comes from the member’s social security funds. The support coordinator assigned to you will be able to speak with you in more specific terms in regard to the dollar amount. Billing to the payee occurs on the first of each month but it may take up to 2 to 3 months for the payee to receive the first bill. Thus, the first bill may include 2 to 3 months of billing. We suggest putting the money aside from the SSI check to be prepared to make the first payment. Then it should adjust to the monthly payment that you can expect to pay.

If there is a significant other involved, can they remain involved after placement?

Yes. This relationship will also be discussed with the prospective provider to ensure that the provider is able to meet this need. We may put a plan in place to ensure that all the member’s needs are being met.

Are there other financial obligations after placement?

Additional funds provided to the member could be pocket money, money for birthday or holiday, clothing money, etc. This should be discussed at the pre-placement ISP.

Can the member bring their pet to live in the ADH?

This can be discussed during our initial meeting with the guardian, member and developmental home provider.  It is a personal preference and ability of the provider to accommodate this need.

Who provides transportation?

The developmental home provider is responsible to provide transportation to school, work/DTA and all appointments.  Once a member is placed in an ADH, transportation to DTA/work is not funded by DDD.  If a developmental home provider chooses to hire transportation, this is the responsibility of the ADH provider to pay.

Does the guardian need to be present at medical/behavioral health appointments?

This is a preference of the guardian. In some cases, the team may request the guardian to attend. The guardian must provide written consent for the administration of psychotropic/behavior modifying medications, surgeries, sedation, etc.

Does the adult member receive dental coverage once placed in the ADH?

Yes, the member’s receive dental coverage up to $1,000 per year through their AHCCCS insurance.

What does the member need to bring with them?

The member is able to bring their personal belongings with them to the developmental home.  If the member has bedroom furniture they would like to bring, they are able to use it.  The developmental home is required to provide a bedroom, a bed, and a place to store the member’s belongings i.e. closet or dresser if the member will not be bringing their own furniture.

StepStone Family & Youth Services Offerings and Support


We pledge to advocate for any supports needed for you and the children and adults in our homes.  We will be there whenever you need us to be.


Our foster parents serve as a support for one another through their knowledge and experiences over the years.

Crisis Intervention:

StepStone Family & Youth Services provides 24-hour support and is available for after hour and weekend needs and crisis intervention.

Behavioral Support:

StepStone Family & Youth Services provides support to the developmental home provider through individualized behavioral plans, member specific training, onsite assistance and much more.

Social and Personal Growth:

StepStone Family & Youth Services works with families to assist them in providing habilitation to the children and adults.  Our goal is for the children and adults to be happy, healthy and as independent as possible.  StepStone Family & Youth Services hosts social advocacy groups that provide social opportunities as well as teaching leadership and advocacy skills to adults placed in our developmental homes.