- Foster Care
- Foster Care Qualifications
Foster Care Qualifications
Do I Qualify?
You’ve got this! General Requirements to be a Foster Parent:
- Be at least 21 years of age
- Successfully pass a criminal background records check and child/adult abuse check
- Have a statement of overall good general health by a medical practitioner (all household members over the age of 18 must have one of these and some states require one for everyone in the household)
- Provide a safe living environment with adequate space for a new child
- Attend and successfully complete a specialized pre-service training that helps prepare you for foster parenting.
- All providers must pass training in medication administration, CPR and first aid
- Once licensed, complete at least 6 hours of additional training every year (some states require more)
- Both single and married people are eligible to become foster parents, and “non-traditional” family structures are welcome
- Truly care about kids, youth and families