Who Can Become a Foster Parent?
If you’re thinking about becoming a foster parent and have questions, please contact us at any time. So many children are waiting for a place to call home. Some of the basic guidelines that apply to become a foster parent include:
- Must be over age 21
- Must have reliable transportation
- Must have enough space for a foster child to have his or her own bed and closet
- Must be able to clear background and DMV checks
- Must have the flexibility to care for a child who may have multiple appointments
- Must be financially stable
Please contact your nearest Braley & Thompson agency. We will provide a brief overview of our treatment foster care program over the phone and ask you some basic information to determine your eligibility to foster.
The next step is to set up an initial meeting to discuss the program in more detail. This meeting will provide an in-depth view of what we do and how we work with the Department of Social Services and other community supports. Most importantly, we will discuss your role as a foster parent.
Steps to Become a Foster Family in Virginia
- Contact us
- Complete the application
- Complete 8-session training
- Complete CPR/First aid
- Complete background checks
- Complete home study
- Ask lots of questions